Advertisement

Jacking in a Microphone to Ableton?

topic posted Thu, July 9, 2009 - 2:54 PM by  Dallas
Share/Save/Bookmark
I've been dj'ing for many years but using Ableton Live for a little over a year now for mainly production purposes and live performances. I'm going to be starting up a new online radio broadcast and would like to plug in a microphone to announce certain tracks and promo spots. I'm curious to know if there's a way to mic-in using Ableton so that I don't have to pre-record those sound bytes.
posted by:
Dallas
Las Vegas
Advertisement
  • you should be able to just activate an Audio track and select your soundcard's Mic Input as the input source on the track. I don't think you need to even arm it to record to monitor through it.

Then just send the output to your master buss and it will playback through your mains.
    • Thanks, Tom. I figured it would work kinda like that, but haven't played with it yet. Just got Live 8.0 upgrade and setting it up.

Thanks again. I'll give it a try.
      • So it did indeed work.. Had to do some tweeking on volume control. You could barely hear the voiceover. But it did work. Thanks.
        • For your volume issue, there should be a pad on your microphone to either add or remove 10db's or 20dbs. If the mic is missing this feature, check to see if it requires 48V power. If it does, but your soundcard does not have a proper "mic" preamp input, that could be the source of your volume problems.

If you have a switch for line level or mic level on your soundcard, flip the switch and see what happens, you should get a big boost in volume. I'm assuming that you're only going in through a 1/4" jack from the mic to the sound card, which would indicate that your soundcard does not have sufficient preamp juice for a microphone.

glad you found a workaround though!

Recent topics in "::Ableton Live music software::"